Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Cleaning a chalkboard

Who doesn't love a good chalkboard these days?! I love small ones, gigantic ones, walls painted with chalkboard paint. I've done them all. BUT, when it's time to really clean them, this is what has worked for me.

First of all, I read that you are supposed to "season" a chalkboard. That means you take a piece of chalk, turn it sideways and completely cover the chalkboard. Then, you wipe it off with a paper towel or eraser. If you don't do this, it is likely that whatever you draw onto the board the first time will be very hard to remove. Read here all about How to Prep + Season a Chalkboard.

This is generic Windex. It is indeed called "L.A.'s Totally Awesome Window Clean". I buy it at Dollar Tree and it works as well or better than Windex.
You guys, this gigantic chalkboard makes me so happy. It is beautiful. And I did not have to make it. Or pay for it! I highly suggest you get yourself a talented, beautiful, generous, crafty sister-in-law (or 4 or 5 like me) and let them make pretty things for you. I LOVE THIS THING. One of my many sisters-in-law (AKA my best friends) made this for me just because she is sweet as pie. I believe my buddy used this tutorial here: How To Make Your Own Chalkboard.
 
I made sure to season this guy before I started writing on it. Then I used a chalkboard pen. And it still did not want to wipe off easily, so I panicked and then started trying to clean it off with all the stuff in our cabinet. The Totally Awesome (haha) window cleaner is the only thing that really worked. I used a dry washcloth and started wiping it all over from top to bottom. 
Here she is all dry. You cannot see where I originally wrote "This has all been wonderful." and it makes me feel wonderful. 
And now I can use it as part of a baby shower decorations, or whatever I feel like and the window cleaner does a good job cleaning it off. Hip Hip Hooray!
Chalkboards belong in multiple locations in every room, wouldn't you agree??

No comments:

Post a Comment