Wednesday, October 28, 2015

No Sew Curtains

I had a fairly inexpensive sewing machine, and I just had a hard time with it! I would love to be able to sew and maybe one day I can get a nice one and actually learn to use it. For now, I hand sew very small things (buttons, hems, etc.) and I use fabric glue for my little DIY projects.
This is my Go-To bottle, which I purchased at Hobby Lobby:
There are lots of great tutorials out there for making your own curtains. I've done several different things here in our home, but the most recent was in our master bedroom. We have a long, narrow room and the bed makes the most sense along the back wall, between two windows. I've had really dark brown curtains hanging in the past, but I lightened it up about 2 years ago with some valence curtains we already had. Sorry the photo quality is so bad!
I was on the lookout for some curtains, but was having trouble finding what I wanted for less that $30/panel. I had decided I would just buy fabric and make my own, when I came across the trusty clearance end cap at Target. These were actually 104" tablecloths, but I liked the pattern and the fact that they already had a hem! They cost $13.98 each.
 I laid each one down flat, folded the top over about 3 inches. I just made sure that each curtain was folded the same amount so they would hang evenly. Then I slowly glued down my "hem". I let them sit overnight and they were ready to go the next morning. I ironed them both really well, then put the curtain rod through the little hole I'd made, and hung them up.
I moved the curtain rod up as far as I could. I measured down from the bottom of the crown molding so the rods would both hang at the same level.
I put them up a few months ago and I haven't changed them, so if you know me that means I must like them!
I think I will always be pleased with this room as long as it's not PURPLE (like when we bought it!). It's all about perspective, isn't it?
Here are a couple more ideas for making your own no sew curtains:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment