Thursday, October 15, 2015

Tips in the Kitchen: freezing onions

Here is another tip for making your cooking a bit easier!

I buy a bag of onions when they are on sale. I peel the onions, then put one in my food processor.
I let it chop away, then I scoop the onion into a freezer bag. You can also chop the onions by hand if you don't own a food processor. There are several choices that are not too expensive, and I use mine more often than I thought I would. I label the bag "one onion" and lay it flat in the freezer. Laying them flat to freeze usually makes it easier to store, especially in a smaller freezer.
I do the same thing for each onion in the bag. When I am using a recipe that calls for one onion (lots of my soups and pastas do), I just head to the freezer and grab a bag of onions and toss it in. Usually there is no need to thaw them because they're heating up on the stove anyway.

If you're in a hurry and don't want to go through all that, you can also buy frozen onions in the freezer section at the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment